Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pasty is a color, too

Just got back from the pool with the puppies, er, kids. While there, I laughed outrageous laughs over 3 things.

First, as I walked in to pay, I find myself face to face with a former student. He is now the head lifeguard at the pool and has just graduated from High School. He didn't remember me, so I did the unthinkable and introduced myself. Poor guy turned 13 shades of red as he realized what a toot he was and was forced to make grown up conversation with a former teacher. He laughed and shook his head and just stared at me for while. Guees he's never seen a teacher in her swimsuit with no makeup and 4 rug rats in tow. Or he could be amazed that I've kept myself up so well and is wondering why I haven't aged while he has now learned to shave.

Then, it hit me again that my kids are SO WHITE! The life guards put on their sunglasses when we got there because the glare off of my kids was so bad. After I deftly covered them in SPF 9000 spray and turned them loose, they were easy to spot. I just followed the beacon of their whiteness. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could hear our northern ancesters from the great beyond, like Duncan Reamhair (all phonetic for those who don't speak gaelic), clan chieftan from the 1100s I think, wailing about letting the wee bairns play in that awful sunlight. And I'm sure that Sir Willingham of the Western English Midlands was bemoaning the parenting tactics of his offspring.

And finally, after hour number 3 at the pool, the former student-head lifeguard had the undesireable job of asking me to pull my youngest from the pool for a "rest break". See, Boy Wonder just learned to swim last week. But he showed that he could swim well enough for the deep end, so I let him enjoy it with the 3 older kids. Well, his stroke is a little rough still, so the lifeguards were really worried that he was too tired. Or maybe they were thinking that I was letting him flail until he went under for good.  All that splashing and gasping and slow seemed to bother them.  Any way, the poor guy had to ask me to give him a break per his supervisor, and he was blushing the whole time. I swear he thought I was going to make him miss recess or sit next to a girl! It was all I could do not to laugh out loud until he left.

I do love our summer pool time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment